Sunday 19 April 2015

Diversification Part II

One week later and the garden is done. Well, actually three days later and it was done. The landscapers worked like super-humans and, having started on Monday, were done by the end of Wednesday. It was pretty impressive. And we're really pleased with the results too... here's those  before and after shots I promised.
                                          Before:

                                          After:
                                          
                                          Before:

                                          After:


The light stone paving was exactly the right choice. It really lightens the small space, and has a simple contemporary feel whilst still being robust and long lasting. The biggest challenge for the next few weeks will be keeping the grass alive. Especially if this hot spell continues and the toddler's enthusiasm for running in circles on it doesn't wane. We're watering it twice a day at the moment and it seems to be doing OK.  Fingers, toes and anything else crossed!

As for the container garden, I know it looks a little bit sad at the moment, but these are very early days my friend! So far, I have only used pots that we used to have on window cills or that we inherited during the move. Mum and Dad bought me a couple of lavenders and I got a rosemary and some strawberry plants. Whilst I thought choosing plants would be the tricky part, the biggest challenge has actually turned out to be ScALe. Plants that we pick up in the garden centre seem huge, but when we get the home they are far too small. Take thee Rosemary for example, I was this close to getting a smaller one because I thought it would take up too much room. Can you even see it in the photos?!?!?!?  Long and short of it is, I need to get some larger, more structural plants and pots. I'm thinking fruit trees, like lemons or cumquats... or OLIVES! Could I grow an olive tree in a pot in England!?!??!? And garden furniture. Something to give  the patio a sense of purpose and to create a  focal point/ destination. Something colourful!

No comments:

Post a Comment